Nov 9, 2011

Size does not matter


Normally I try hard to not pay listen to what others say around me while standing in line at the grocery store but tonight while on a quick trip for milk and cheese I heard this.....(in a young girls voice)
I have to lose weight, if I could just be skinny then he would want me, Look I grew out my hair now it long, now all I have to do is get skinny, then he would see.) I just couldn't resist it despite my inner voice saying "mind your own business" something  said louder..."Speak Up" so I did. I turned to that group of high school students and said. "I'm sorry but your body will always change, and if he can only like you if you are skinny he is not the one for you." She said well no I just want to make him see what he could have had, and I replied "if he couldn't see it already he never will no matter what you weigh."

Now let me tell why this conversation was so hard for me to hear....
As a high school student I joined to Drill team only to be told every day at weigh in that 115 was fat and that I had to lose 10 lbs, so I tried I cut out all sweets, watched what I ate and worked out everyday, I lost 2 lbs, that wasn't enough so I quit.
Later as a 21 year old I over heard a young man say to another young man that "Heidi might get more dates if she hit the gym and lost a few pounds." Now I was a size 6 just so you know I wasn't morbidly obese constrained to a bed.
I have struggled with my weight ever since Jr high, especially in my legs, I HATE it. I wish more than anything I could be a size 2 but alas I am not. So every day I tell myself I am great even if I should lose a few. So to hear a young girl saying her worth to some guy is dependent on her weight I want to scream.

My wish is that we show support for all that these girls are doing right and teach them to love themselves and someday they will see the right boy will love them even if they have a few to lose too.
P.s. I am all for healthy eating and exercise but let's face it we all can't fit into a supermodel mold (yes I am totally going to bring that up when I meet our creator)

2 comments:

Granny Jacque said...

Amen!

Pattie D said...

Yes...AMEN! Well you know I have fought my weight my whole life! I keep thinking at some point it won't be a fight anymore, but what 3 weeks from the big 50 and I still worry what people are thinking about the now OLD FAT Lady. I take a young lady to seminary every day and I was telling her how hard it is for me to go into the store and buy two dozen donuts for the kids...Iworry that the cashier, the same one everyday looks at me and thinks well geez lady if you didn't eat like this you wouldn't look like that! and then to top it off run in the next day for a candy bar for a birthday or a bag of treats for SM game...Oh well, it is NOT how I eat. At this point, if even doctors can't figure it out...I have kind of given up on ever looking good again! THANKS for the reminder that there is so much more to us than our outward appearance, I take comfort in 1 Samuel 16:7 I believe it is verse 7 anyway.